My friends and I decided that, despite being in a country where they don’t know the meaning of the word Thanksgiving, we were going to try our darndest to create a Thanksgiving dinner. After grappling with the idea of cooking a full turkey in a pressure cooker, and realizing what a disaster it would be considering we haven’t yet mastered a simple soup in a pressure cooker yet, we decided upon buying rotisserie chickens for the main event. We also made quite an ambitious list of food to buy at Corte Ingles, the big department store in Sevilla.
Armed with our shopping list, Rachel, Julia and I headed to el Corte and successfully found almost everything we were looking for. Sure, the celery looked a little wilted, the sweet potatoes looked a little past their expiration, and our marshmallows were multicolored and packaged in a Christmas stocking. But the trip was a success, minus gravy and apple cider.
Thursday I headed to Julia’s house at 4:00 to start our preparations. Unable to find anything resembling a pie in Spain, we went for the next best thing: chocolate cake mix, which was miraculously at el Corte. We started with the cake in the oven, and began to boil the sweet potatoes and toast and rip up a loaf of bread for stuffing. Of course, Julia’s house doesn’t have a toaster, so we began toasting the bread on a griddle, making it look like a high school cafeteria on grilled cheese day. Things went pretty smoothly, until water began shooting out of the wall. Whenever either of us tried to turn on the sink, a spiget on the nearby wall would start spraying. That’s handy! Soon, Julia and the floor were drenched and we were more than fed up. Luckily, Julia’s roommate’s brother David was at home, so Julia went racing into the living room sopping wet yelling, “David… el agua está saliendo de la pared! Que pasa?!” David merely laughed at us and informed us that there is no hot water in the kitchen so the faucet has to be pointed to the cold water only. Claro! After this minor setback, and the breaking of an egg on the floor, it was pretty much smooth sailing, and we were almost finished cooking by the time Rachel arrived at 6. Our guests filtered in around 8:30 with side dishes, wine and bread for the evening. We dined until we could not dine any more, and were thankful that this very Spanish thanksgiving meal came together.
The past few weeks at school a lot of the teachers I’m with have been out sick, so I have been taking over the classes myself. There is supposed to always be another teacher there with me, but sometimes the school doesn’t really think there should be substitutes. Most of the classes have been really great, until the kids come up to me with problems I can’t understand. I think these kids were born to be tattletales. So many times during class kids will come up to the front of the room saying “Adrian no está trabajando!”. Como se dice mind your own business en español? I think the funniest interaction I had was with one kid who was blasting the Black Eyed Peas from his laptop at the beginning of class. When I told him to turn off the music, he retorted, “pero seño, la música está en inglés! Es educacional!”. So I told him that if he could tell me what all of the lyrics meant it really is educational and he could keep listening. He quickly recognized defeat and turned it off.
No comments:
Post a Comment